Connect with us

Latest News

Xenophobia: First batch of 320 Nigerians return Wednesday – Envoy

Published

on

The Consul General of Nigeria in Johannesburg, Godwin Adama, Tuesday declares that the first batch of the Nigerian returnees from South Africa would depart South Africa for Lagos tomorrow being Wednesday September 11.

Adama told the News Agency of Nigeria(NAN) in a telephone interview that the first batch of returnees, are expected to depart South Africa by 9:00 a.m Wednesday.

The consul general also disclosed that Air peace had indicated interest to evacuate over 600 Nigerians that were willing to return home following the latest xenophobic attacks in South Africa.

“The first flight leaves by 09:00 hours this Wednesday with about 320 passengers and the second batch will leave on Thursday all things being equal.

“We have over 600 who had indicated interest. All things being equal, without any hitches, the plane will take off by 09:00 hours this Wednesday.

“The manifest for the first flight is ready, and we are working on the next flight,” he said.

President Muhammadu Buhari had on Monday called for the immediate evacuation of Nigerians willing to return home from South Africa following the latest attacks on Nigerians and other African nationals.

Buhari gave the directive when he received a report of the special envoy to South Africa, the Director-General of the National Intelligence Agency (NIA), Ahmed Abubakar.

News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the chairman of Air Peace Mr Allen Onyema, had last week volunteered to send aircraft to evacuate Nigerians who wished to return home for free.

“Air Peace is willing to support the Nigerian Government’s efforts in this matter by deploying our B777 aircraft to evacuate Nigerians back home,” Onyema said.

Oyema advised the returnees against making payment to anyone for their flights to Lagos.

Onyema urged the returning Nigerians to be wary of unauthorised persons, reportedly collecting $1,000 from them, adding that none of them should pay for the flights.

He said, his airline is particularly concerned about the safety of Nigerians in South Africans following the attacks.

“We have not designated or recruited any agent in South Africa to collect money on behalf of Air Peace.

“So, nobody should pay money to anyone or group of persons posing as Air Peace agent or staff.

“Any Nigerian who has paid money for repatriation to Nigeria with Air Peace should request for a refund and report to appropriate authorities,” he said.

The Chairman, Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NIDCOM), Abike Dabiri-Erewa, had also pledged the Federal Government’s support to any Nigerian that wanted to return home.

Mrs. Dabiri-Erewa said this after a closed-door meeting with the Senate Committee on Diaspora and Non-Governmental Organisations in Abuja.

She said that the returnees would be encouraged to enroll and participate in the various social intervention programmes of the government.

“We will encourage them to enroll in small scale entrepreneurial programmes with the Bank of Industry under the social investment programme. So, there are things that they can do’’, she said.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest News

I sympathise with Nigerians over cashless policy – Emefiele

Published

on

Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, Friday apologised to bank customers for the inconveniences the newly introduced cashless policy will cause.

Governor of Central Bank, Godwin Emefiele made the apology at the end of the Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) meeting in Abuja.

He stated this when he was asked of his reaction to the push back from Nigerians over the return of charges on deposits and withdrawals beyond certain thresholds.

He said, “I sympathize and regret inconvenience cashless policy will cause bank customers.”

Emefiele, who also spoke on the controversial judgement debt of $9.6 billion awarded to P&ID, maintained that “by the grace of God there is no threat to the reserves…..and we have received presidential approval that those indicted should be prosecuted.”

At the end of the meeting, the MPC retained interest rates at 13.5% as well as other parameters.

Despite the apology, the CBN boss maintained that the policy will progress as announced.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Auto crash kills five, ten sustain injuries in Lagos-Ibadan expressway

Published

on

Five persons were on Friday killed in a road crash, and 10 others sustained injuries along Ibadan –Lagos Expressway when the commercial bus conveying them burst into flames.

The Ogun State Sector Commander of the Federal Road Safety Corps, FRSC, Clement Oladele said the crash occurred at about 8.49a.m. around Onigari, a town on the border of Ogun State and Oyo State.

He said the crash involved a commercial bus, which was travelling from Sokoto but stopped briefly in Ibadan to pick passengers heading towards Lagos.

The bus lost control due to excessive speed, and collided with the concrete curb in the middle of the road and burst into flames.

The commander said the crash involved 18 passengers comprising 17 male adults and one female adult.

He explained that a total of 10 male adults sustained injuries from the crash, while five of the passengers comprising four male adults and one female adult died.

Oladele said the vehicle is a white-coloured Mazda bus with registration number WWD 302CB.

He advised members of the public whose relatives travelled to contact the commission at KM27 Ibadan – Lagos Expressway at Ogunmakin or the Olabisi Onabanjo University Teaching Hospital (OOUTH) , Sagamu, where the injured victims are receiving treatment.

He said the bodies of those who died in the crash have been deposited at the hospital’s mortuary.

Oladele advised the public to drive cautiously on the Lagos – Ibadan Expressway, stressing that the Expressway is still undergoing rehabilitation.

He said the recommended speed at construction area is 50 kilometers per hour, and also reminded passengers to caution drivers driving recklessly.

He said passengers can call the commission on the toll free number 122 to report recalcitrant drivers.

Continue Reading

Latest News

PortHarcourt: Arrested serial killer also notorious cult member – Police reveals

Published

on

Rivers State police command has arrested a suspected serial killer of young women, Mr. Gracious David West, who allegedly lures his victims to low budget hotels in Port-Harcourt, the state capital.

Police alleged also that the serial killer was also a notorious cult group called Degbam.

It was gathered that the suspect was caught on camera a few days ago leaving a hotel after strangling a yet-to-be identified lady following sex romp with her.

TIMELY POST recalls that the police had said David West’s victims since July are no fewer than eight ladies.

However, a statement on Thursday night by the Nigeria Police Public Relations Officer, ACP Frank Mba, said the alleged serial killer, who is also a cultist, was nabbed on his way to Uyo, Akwa Ibom from Port-Harcourt.

The statement reads, “The notorious serial killer, Gracious David West was today September 19, 2019, arrested by the Police in Rivers.

“The 26-year old killer from Buguma LGA of Rivers State, who is also a member of the Degbam cult group was arrested along East-West Road enroute to Uyo from Port Harcourt.

“He has since made useful statements to the Police. Investigation is on with a view to ascertaining his motives and possible accomplices.”

Mba added that the Commissioner of Police in Rivers State, CP Mustapha Dandaura, will be briefing the media on the breakthrough on Friday September 20, 2019.

Continue Reading

Like Us OnFacebook

Trending