An Ikeja Special Offences Court, Friday, sentenced a 38-year-old barber, Jobi Kayode, to 20 years in prison for raping his 12-year-old neighbour (name withheld).
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Justice Oluwatoyin Taiwo sentenced Kayode after finding him guilty of a charge of defilement due to the strength of the complainant’s testimony and the medical evidence.
“The prosecution has proved its case beyond reasonable doubt and I hereby convict him on the offence of defilement, as charged.
“The instances of rape have become prevalent in our society and it is almost becoming an epidemic. The defilement of a 12-year-old neighbour, who trusted him as her neighbour, is heinous.
“The defendant is hereby sentenced to 20 years in prison, to be served at the Kirikiri Correctional Centre, with no option of fine. The sentence starts from today, November 8, 2019,” the judge said.
NAN reports that five witnesses (the complainant, her parents, a medical doctor and a police officer) testified for the prosecution during the trial, while Mr Kayode testified solely in his defence.
The complainant (name withheld), who was a Junior Secondary School One (JSS1) student, while testifying during the trial, had said that the convict had the habit of making lewd advances at her and showing her his manhood whenever she was heading home from school.
While being led in evidence by F. O. Ligali, the lead prosecuting counsel, she said “I usually close from school at 4 pm. from Mondays to Thursdays and 2 pm. on Fridays.
“Whenever I’m coming back from school, he (defendant) usually makes advances at me and sometimes brings out his penis and shakes it at me,” she said.
The student said that one day when she was opening the gate to the compound of her home, the defendant approached her and told her he wanted to see her neighbour in the compound.
She said that immediately he got into the compound, he overpowered her and raped her.
“He threatened me that if I should tell anyone about what he did to me, he would kill me,” she said.
The complainant said she did not tell anyone about the incident and that three days later, he approached her again while she was opening the gate of her compound, telling her, again, that he wanted to see her neighbour.
“He promised not to rape her and when he got into the compound, he rushed at me faster than the first time and raped me. He again threatened to kill me if I should tell anyone,” she said.
The complainant said that she did not tell her parents about the incident but that she revealed the incident after a Non-Governmental Organisation (NGO) who came to give sex education in her school.
She said she confided in a member of the NGO team about the defilement, who later informed her teacher who, in turn, told her to inform her parents but that she declined to tell her parents out of fear.
According to her, her mother was informed about the rape by her teacher during a PTA meeting, while the mother informed her father who, in turn, reported to the authorities.
Kayode, in his defence, denied raping his neighbour.
“I had, at no time, visited the complainant’s compound. Their gate was always locked with a padlock,” he said.
Before the sentence was passed, Saheed Sanusi, the defence counsel, in his allocutus (plea for mercy), had asked the court to temper justice with mercy.
“We plead for leniency; the defendant is a first time offender; he has a family to look after. His family will suffer as a result.
“We plead the court for leniency so that he will continue to support his family. He has learnt his lesson; such an incident will not happen again,” Sanusi pleaded.
According to the prosecution, the convict committed the offence on June 21, 2015, at the Shangisha area of Lagos.
“The offence contravenes Section 137 of the Criminal Law of Lagos, 2011,” Ligali said.
Abductors kill traffic warden after payment of ransom
A Kaduna State Traffic Law Enforcement Agency (KASTELEA) marshal, who was kidnapped last month along Birnin-Gari Kaduna highway, has been killed by his abductors, Daily Trust gathered.
The marshal, PM ll Hamza Abubakar Mahuta, was reportedly abducted on October 16 while travelling to Birnin Gwari to spend the weekend with his family members.
It was gathered that, after the abduction, his abductors demanded N5 million as ransom.
Sources in Birnin Gwari told our reporter that the body of the marshal was yet to be recovered from his killers as they only informed the family members on phone.
A family source, who did not want to be named confirmed the death of the late marshal, which he said was revealed to them Thursday evening by his killers.
“Hamza was my relation and we got the news of his death yesterday (Monday) around 5:30 pm after the family paid N500,000 ransom to his abductors. We were told they killed him nine days ago but they kept calling that until the ransom is paid before they will release him.
“The kidnappers lied that he was alive until after they collected the ransom before they said he (Hamza) was killed but you know they will not release his corpse,” he said.
When contacted, KASTELEA’s Assistant General Manager, Public Affairs, Joy George Zemo, said she could not comment on the issue for now because they were trying to get details of the issue.
Fake EFCC officer bags 3-year jail term
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, Wednesday secured conviction of Mukhtar Bello over alleged impersonation and obtaining by false pretence.
Bello was made to appear before Justice M.T Tukur of Kaduna State High Court.
EFCC spokesman, Wilson Uwujaren said this in a statement in Abuja.
Further, Uwujaren explained, “The 43-year-old graduate of the University of Tampa, Florida was arrested on October 31, 2019 after he failed to honour his obligations in a financial transaction with some ladies.
“A scene was created at an ATM point of one of the new generation banks in Kaduna Metropolis as the ladies tried to compel him to make withdrawal, to pay for items he bought from them. An officer of the Commission who had come to make use of the ATM at the time, was shocked to hear Mukhtar repeatedly harassing the ladies saying ” I am an EFCC staff, I will deal with you all”.
“The curious EFCC staff sought to know what the problem was. Mukhtar told him he was from the Abuja office of the Commission but in Kaduna on leave. Further questioning led to the discovery that he was an impostor.
“He was brought to the Kaduna Zonal Office, where another officer who had previously encountered Mukhtar at a relaxation spot in Kaduna immediately recorgnised him “as the EFCC staff from Abuja.”
Statements of other witnesses have also reportedly been taken, affirmming their encounter with Mukhtar, the EFCC fake staff.
But Investigation reportedly revealed that the suspect is known for harrassing and defrauding unsuspecting members of the public by dropping the names of public agencies.
EFCC added, “Before now, he had claimed to be staff of the Federal Character Commission (between 2003 and 2007).
Upon arraignment, the defendant pleaded guilty to the charges.
“Consequently,Justice Tukur convicted and sentenced him to 3years imprisonment with option of N250,000 fine on each of the three counts”.
EFCC arraigns Kano sharia court workers over alleged N1.2m fraud
The Kano Zonal Office of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), on Tuesday arraigned Ado Shehu and Ali Muhammad for alleged theft and receipt of gratification.
The duo were made to appear before Justice Amina .A. Aliyu of the Kano State High Court.
EFCC spokesman, Wilson Uwujaren disclosed this in a statement to TIMELY POST in Abuja.
Further, he explained, “complainant, Sanusi Yakubu in a petition, had alleged that one Williams Aondo (now late), who was a staff of Skye Bank, conspired with Shehu and Muhammad, both of whom are staff of Sharia Court, Kano State and instituted a civil action, claiming that he (the complainant) was late, after they noticed inactivity on his account for a few years, not knowing that he was alive and well in Saudi Arabia.
“The petitioner also alleged that the court, acting upon the information presented before it by the said Shehu and Muhammad, ordered his account to be closed and that the sum of N1,255,728.00 (One Million, Two Hundred and Fifty-five Thousand, Seven Hundred and Twenty-eight Naira) that was in the account be remitted to the court for distribution to his heirs”.
Count one of the charge reads: ”That you Ado Shehu, Ali Muhammad and Abba Sanusi, (now at large), sometime in December, 2017 at Kano, Kano State, within the jurisdiction of this honorable court, conspired among yourselves to do an illegal act to wit: conspiracy to commit theft against one Sanusi Yakubu and thereby committed an offence contrary to Section 96(1)(a) and punishable under Section 97 of the Penal Code Law (1987).”
But the defendants reportedly pleaded not guilty to the charges against them.
On this premise, the prosecution counsel, Zarami Mohammed asked the court for a trial date and for the defendants to be remanded in the custody of Nigerian Correctional Service (NCS).
Defence counsel Rabiu Sani, however, made an oral application of bail for the defendants, which presiding Justice Aliyu granted.
He also admitted the defendants to bail in the sum of N100,000 each and two sureties in like sum.
One of the sureties, Aliyu ordered must be a staff of the judiciary, not less than Grade Level 12 and the other must also be a judiciary staff.
He also ordered that they be remanded in the custody of NCS pending the fulfillment of their bail conditions as the case was adjourned to November 14, for hearing.
Like Us OnFacebook
Tech11 months ago
List of Phones with 5000mAh battery in Nigeria 
Politics1 year ago
2019: crisis rocks Gombe PDP as Lawmaker moves to sue over alleged illegal substitution
Business8 months ago
NNPC loses N228.1bn revenue as refineries remain dormant
Entertainment/Event8 months ago
Actress Etinosa goes nude on MC Galaxy’s live video
Headline News8 months ago
Police slam ₦2.5bn fraud charges against Access Bank CEO, three others
Headline News8 months ago
EFCC arrests Turaki – PDP
Headline News8 months ago
CCT trial: Onnoghen faults prosecution documents, alleges mutilation, tampering, omission
Headline News9 months ago
BREAKING: Court terminates charges against Alex Badeh