Connect with us

National News

I won’t steal public funds – Kwara Governor

Published

on

Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq of Kwara State says he will not use public fund and resources to enjoy and gratify himself at the expense of the masses that brought him to power.

AbdulRazaq said this on Monday in Ilorin, the state capital in a speech delivered at the second edition of the annual Ilorin Grand Durbar.

Represented by his deputy, Kayode Alabi, the governor declared that public resources would only be applied strictly to public projects and overheads approved and budgeted for.

“We will not entertain excesses of any sort. With people’s interest as the guiding principle, we will do things differently and purposefully to get more impactful results.

“I appeal to this distinguished gathering of our people to unite behind this agenda for the progress of our community and generations yet unborn.

“Anything short of this will keep us moving in a circle and that would defeat the purpose of our people standing in the sun to vote the way they did.

“We must embrace reforms which are often tough at the beginning. We must make tough choices in our decision to move our state forward,” Mr AbdulRazaq added.

The governor emphasised that prudent management of resources was necessary to drive growth.

He commended the Emir of Ilorin, Ibrahim Sulu-Gambari, and the Ilorin Emirate Council for organising the historical cultural event.

AbdulRazaq reiterated his resolve to institutionalise the various cultural activities in the state to boost tourism and economic growth, including the Durbar.

He described the Durbar as the heritage of Ilorin people and a testament to the bravery and valour of their forebears especially the royal lineage of Sheikh Alimi.

“Let me clarify this too. Kwara is immensely blessed with abundant natural and human resources, as the quality of attendance at this Durbar shows.

“Kwara is however not so rich in monetary terms. But that was not the reason for the slow development.

“The problem was that the little resources Kwara had was not going into building sustainable future.

“This is what we need to change, this is what we are changing, and that requires the support of all of you,” Mr AbdulRazaq added.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the Grand Durbar was attended by many prominent guests, sons and daughters of Ilorin from across the country and beyond.

They included the Kwara Central senator, Ibrahim Yahya Oloriegbe; Chief of Staff to the Governor, Adisa Logun; Olusin of Isanlu-Isin, Solomon Oloyede; Jani Ibrahim and Moshood Mustapha.

Others were Lukman Mustapha; Olaolu Ali (SAN); former Vice Chancellors of University of Ilorin, Shuaib Oba Abdulraheem and Abduganiyu Ambali; and Soliu Mustapha.

(NAN)

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National News

UN estimates Boko Haram kills 35,000 so far in Nigeria

Published

on

An estimated 35,000 persons have lost their lives in the ongoing Boko Haram insurgency in Adamawa, Borno, and Yobe States and other parts of Nigeria since the beginning of the conflict in 2009, the United Nations has said.

“These are 35,000 too many deaths,” it said in a statement.

The agency also said 37 aid workers lost their lives in the course of their duties in the region.

This was disclosed in a statement sent to PREMIUM TIMES on Saturday by the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) in commemoration of its humanitarian day.

”In total, 37 aid workers have lost their lives in service of humanity since the beginning of the conflict. We are here together to honour them and their grieving families, relatives, and children surviving them.

”As I stand before you today, my thoughts also go to the families of our colleagues who are still being held captive by armed groups. The UN and its humanitarian partners call for their immediate release and return to safety.

”My heart also goes out to the families of the thousands of civilians who have been similarly abducted and whose whereabouts are still unknown,” it said.

”Today, we are here together to remind the world that the humanitarian crisis hitting Borno, Adamawa and Yobe states is far from over.

”The less attention we pay to the crisis in the North-east, the more risks face our colleagues who are working in extremely volatile areas struck by violence and devastation.

”As respect for the laws of war weakens, aid workers are increasingly vulnerable, though they are more needed than ever before,” it added.

The UN also acknowledged the female humanitarian workers deployed in the North-east and the ones who died in the line of duty.

”Women are active in every aspect of humanitarian action: from negotiating access to people in need to addressing deadly diseases such as measles and cholera. From reuniting separated children to ensuring people uprooted by natural disasters and conflict have shelter, access to clean water, healthcare, food and education,” it said.

”Women humanitarians bring a unique perspective to this work through their understanding of the specific needs and priority of girls and women.

”And women humanitarians extend our global humanitarian access in parts of the world by their ability to reach women and girls who might otherwise be out-of-reach and bring them the information, support and services they need.

”Saifura Hussaini Ahmed Khorsa, Hauwa Mohammed Liman; they were midwives with ICRC and were executed after being held in captivity by non-state armed groups for more than six months. Both aid workers were abducted from Rann town, Borno State in March 2018 along with a nurse from UNICEF who is still held in captivity.

”Faye Mooney, she was a British communications and learning specialist with the non-governmental organisation, Mercy Corps. She lost her life in an attack by gunmen in Kaduna State earlier this year.”

Continue Reading

National News

Governor Matawalle appoints new head of service

Published

on

Zamfara State Governor, Bello Matawalle has appointed Kabiru Balarabe as the new head of service for the state’s civil service.

Until his appointment, Balarabe was the permanent secretary, Government House.

A statement signed by Yusuf Idris, the Director-General of press affairs to the governor on Saturday, said the appointment takes immediate effect.

The appointment followed the retirement of Mujtaba Isa, the former head of service.

Matawalle charged the new head of service to live up to the administration’s expectations by restructuring the service in the state and making it a role model.

Born in March, 1966, Mr Balarabe, a graduate of the University of Sokoto, joined the civil service as a research officer in the old Sokoto Military Administrator’s office in August, 1991.

He served in various capacities including as private secretary to former President Shehu Shagari between 1993 and 1996.

Balarabe was also a principal private secretary to the Zamfara State first civilian governor, Ahmed Sani, and a former local government sole administrator of the old Kasuwar Daji Local Government.

(NAN)

Continue Reading

National News

Herdsman lands in prison over alleged rape of 14-year-old girl

Published

on

Lawani Oseni, 22, has been remanded in prison custody by an Iyaganku Chief Magistrates’ court sitting at Ibadan on Friday, for allegedly raping a 14-year-old girl.

The Chief Magistrate, Mr O. Adisa, in his ruling said the court had no jurisdiction to preside over the case, but remanded the defendant at Agodi prison.

However, Oseni’s plea, was not taken.

Adisa, thereafter, adjourned the matter till Aug. 27.

According to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) Lawani, a cattle herder, of undisclosed address, was in court on one-count charge of rape.

The Police Prosecutor, ASP Ade Adebusuyi, told the court that the accused on Aug. 5, at about 12 noon, was alleged to have forcefully penetrated the girl, without her consent.

He said: “The victim was said to be hawking sachet water and Lawani, who was rearing his cattle, stopped her on the pretext that he wanted to buy.

“Lawani in the process allegedly had unlawful canal knowledge of her without her consent in the forest.

“The victim was alleged to have been deflowered by the defendant in the process, she shouted and called for help, and farmers in a nearby farm came to her rescue.

“The victim was rescued and the defendant arrested, while the matter was reported at Idi-Ayunre Police Station, Ibadan.’’

Adebusuyi said, the offence is contrary to Section 357 and punishable under Section 358 of the Criminal Code, Cap 38, Vol. II, Laws of Oyo State 2000.

Continue Reading

Like Us OnFacebook

Trending