The Military authority has sacked the soldiers involved in the alleged gangrape of a 300-level student of Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba- Akoko, AAUA, in Akoko South West Local Government Area of Ondo State.
Until the sad incident Wednesday last week, the randy soldiers were serving at 32 Artillery Brigade located at Akure.
However, the trio have been handed over to the police for prosecution.
Confirming the development, the Ondo State Command Police Public Relations Officer, PPRO, Femi Joseph, said the suspect is now in police custody saying, they will soon be charged to court.
In his words, “I can confirm to you that the soldier has been handed over to us, he will soon charge him to court,” Joseph stated.
Meanwhile, it was gathered that before the culprit was handed over to the police, he had been tried by the Army authorities at the brigade.
He was also said to have been dismissed from the service by the Army after finding him culpable in the crime.
A source at the barracks stated, “he has been sacked from service and he has been transferred to the police for prosecution . The army does not tolerate indiscipline.”
It was earlier reported that a 300-level student of the Department of Religious and African Studies of the university, was allegedly gang-raped at a military checkpoint situated few kilometers from the university.
It was disclosed that one of the soldiers identified as Lance Corporal Sunday had ordered the girl to alight from the mini-bus she boarded from the campus, and forced her into one of the rooms of the building used by the soldiers at the checkpoint where the crime was committed.
Woman tortures teenager to death, runs away with corpse
A woman has allegedly tortured her daughter to death in Akure, the Ondo State capital.
The woman whose identity is yet to be ascertained was said to have rushed the daughter believed to be within the age of 4 years to the Ondo State University Teaching Hospital, Akure Annex.
The incident reportedly happened on Wednesday night when the woman reportedly brought in the dead girl into the hospital, with suspected marks of horsewhip visible on the girl’s body.
According to some members of staff of the government-owned hospital, the woman escaped with the child’s corpse which was brought to the Children’s
Outpatients Department (COPD) of the hospital.
“The woman brought in the girl to the hospital at the children’s emergency ward for treatment.
“As we tried to attend to her, we notice that she had maltreated the girl to the point of death.
“If you see the body of the girl, it was a case of Child Abuse as there serious marks of beaten all over her.
“By the time the doctor on duty could rush and attend to her, it was discovered that she even brought the child dead.
“The doctor had to quickly tell the woman that the young kid she brought to the hospital was dead already.
“Before you know it, the woman grabbed the girl and ran away from the hospital facility”.
One of the doctors on duty when the incident occurred confirmed the incident, noting that the child was brought in dead (DOB) by the mother.
The doctor who craved anonymity stated that “Immediately she (the woman) brought in the child dead to the hospital, we tried to resuscitate her but there was no life again.
“And before we knew it, the woman grabbed the corpse of her child and ran outside the hospital facility.
“All effort to trace her has since proven abortive because we did not know how she just manage to escape from the hospital facility,” the doctor said.
Also, confirming the incident, the Administrative Secretary of the hospital, Dayo Owoseni disclosed that, “I only heard about the incident this morning and we have called on the doctor on duty to come over and explained what happened to us.
“Although, the Chief Medical Director, CMD, of the hospital is not currently around and the remaining top staffs are in an emergency meeting,” he said.
Spokesperson of Ondo State Police Command, Femi Joseph who confirmed the incident said that investigation had already begun to unravel how it all happened.
He emphasized that there was no proper record of the case registered at the hospital, but efforts are on to track the woman.
“We have already sent in some officers to go and investigate the case to know what actually went wrong,” the PPRO stated.
FRSC returns N443,180 to accident victims’ relatives in Kebbi
The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) in Kebbi says it has returned N443,180 to relatives of victims of two road traffic crashes in the state.
Abayomi Asaniyan, the Sector Commander of the corps in the state, made this known to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Birnin Kebbi on Thursday.
He said the command recovered the money at two different scenes of road crashes in Birnin Kebbi and Argungu Local Government Areas of the state.
“The FRSC recovered, on 17 August, 2019, at two different scenes of road traffic crashes the sum of N400,160 at Argungu-Birnin Kebbi bypass junction in Argungu Local Government Area and N43,020 at old cemetery in Birnin Kebbi Local Government Area.
”All the recovered monies have been handed over to the relatives of the victims accordingly,” he said.
Mr Asaniyan commended the efforts of his men and praised their integrity.
“I urge all officers and men in the command to continue to do their best and ensure prompt rescue of road crash victims.
”They should also continue to exhibit good character they are known with by always documenting monies and other items recovered from scenes of crashes and promptly hand over to the victims or relations of dead ones without tampering with any of the items,” he urged.
He warned that the monitoring teams would always be on the road to fish out staff that engaged in extortion or compromise in the discharge of their duties.
The sector commander enjoined motorists to be more patient, and obey traffic rules and regulations to avoid sustaining injuries or loss of lives and property on the road.
Police officers’ job on the line for executing arrested suspects
The police in Lagos have said four of its officers are being interrogated for executing two suspects they arrested on Monday at Ipayi area, Iba, Lagos.
Following the release of a viral video where some police officers shot two unarmed suspects in Lagos, the police spokesperson in the state said the officers had been identified and taken into custody for gross misconduct.
The video which was released on Tuesday showed how two handcuffed suspects were shot at by one of the officers who arrested them.
In a statement released by Bala Elkana on Wednesday, the police officers are currently undergoing internal disciplinary proceedings and would be dismissed from the Force if found guilty.
The officers were identified as Fabiyi Omomayara, an inspector; Olaniyi Solomon and Solomon Sunday who are sergeants; and Aliyu Mukaila, a corporal.
According to Mr Elkana, the Iba Police Station received a distress call from Anugu Valentine that he was attacked by a group of armed men numbering about four on two motorcycles at Ipayi area, Iba and they dispossessed him of one iPhone max valued at N450, 000.
“The Divisional Police Officer, Iba promptly deployed the Divisional Patrol team to the scene. Two of the armed robbers were arrested while two escaped.”
“After arresting the suspects, the officers extrajudicially killed the suspects instead of taking them to the police station.
“The team, however, went extreme by killing the suspects who were already in their custody, instead of taking them to the Police Station and allowing the normal process of investigation and prosecution to be initiated as stipulated under procedural laws.”
The incident happened around 3 p.m on Monday.
The arrested suspects were said to be members of a notorious gang tormenting the area. Two locally made pistols with six live cartridges and five expended cartridges were recovered from the suspects after their arrest.
Mr Elkana said the act of the police officers ran short of police professional standards and cannot be condoned by the Command.
“The Police Officers are currently subjected to internal disciplinary proceedings known as Orderly Room trial and if found culpable, they will be dismissed from the Force and will be handed over to the State Criminal Investigation Department Yaba for prosecution in the conventional Court.”
The police said members of the public would be updated on the outcome of the investigation and trial.
Like Us OnFacebook
Tech8 months ago
List of Phones with 5000mAh battery in Nigeria 
Politics10 months ago
2019: crisis rocks Gombe PDP as Lawmaker moves to sue over alleged illegal substitution
Business6 months ago
NNPC loses N228.1bn revenue as refineries remain dormant
Headline News6 months ago
Police slam ₦2.5bn fraud charges against Access Bank CEO, three others
Headline News6 months ago
EFCC arrests Turaki – PDP
Headline News6 months ago
BREAKING: Court terminates charges against Alex Badeh
Headline News5 months ago
CCT trial: Onnoghen faults prosecution documents, alleges mutilation, tampering, omission
National News5 months ago
Onnoghen: CCT summons standard chartered bank account officer for grilling