Connect with us

National News

Herdsmen allegedly kill hunter chairman, daughter in Kogi

Published

on

The Chairman of Bunu Hunters and also head of vigilante, Suku community in Kabba-Bunu Local Government council of Kogi State, Caleb Oshe and his son, Sunday Oshe were murdered by unknown gunmen in the early hours of Tuesday.

It was gathered from a reliable source that some armed men invaded the residence of the Chairman of the vigillante in Suku at about 3am on Tuesday.

The source further said that they broke into his house and gunned him and his son down before escaping from the scene.

One of his daughters, Kemi Shola Caleb who was in the house when the gunmen invaded the house disclosed that they were asking for money and they even held them hostage and packed things from their shop.

She said they used both machetes and guns on her father. However, it was the sound of the gunshot that woke people up and on getting to the scene, they met the Chairman and the son in a pool of blood.

Meanwhile, Kogi State Governor, Alhaji Yahaya Bello has condemned the killing of the Chairman of Bunu Hunters, Caleb Oshe and his son, Sunday Oshe by some unknown gunmen, saying security agencies have been charged to ensure those behind the murder are apprehended and made to face the full wrath of the law.

In a statement issued on Tuesday through his Director-General of Media and Publicity to the Governor, Evangelist Kingsley Fanwo, Governor Bello said it is “unacceptable to his Government and the people of Kogi State”; urging for restraints as security agencies have been deployed to ensure the arrest of the murderers.

“As the Governor of the State, the security of lives and property is what I have sworn to protect. It is therefore unacceptable to us as a people for anyone to murder our citizens. Every life is important to us and we will stop at nothing to unravel the masterminds of the heinous crime.

“Our administration has placed premium attention on security and it is therefore unfortunate that we still have flashes of such dastardly act.

“It is too early to attribute the killings to anyone and no one should take laws into his or her hands. The late Caleb Osho was not only the head of the Vigilante Group in Suku, but also the person responsible for logging activities in the community.

“Given the centrality of Suku Community to the politics and economy of the area, we have no choice than to allow security agencies to launch a full-scale investigation into the circumstances leading to the crime. We will support them to achieve success.

“I directed the State Security Adviser to mobilize security agencies to the place which had been done. Our people must be safe from the pangs of Anti-Social criminals who will surely lose the battle against our well-woven security architecture.

“I commiserate with the family of the late Mr Oshe and the entire Suku community for the irreparable loss. All I can assure you at this moment is that we will ensure justice is done and that we will spread our security dragnet to avert this kind of security issue”.

The Governor warned the people in the affected area not to launch any reprisals; assuring them that the security agents on ground have all it takes, not only to protect them but to also apprehend the murderers.

“I have directed the Security Agencies to make sure the entire area is well combed to ensure anyone bearing unauthorized arm is made to face the wrath of the law”, he said.

Also, the Speaker, Kogi State House of Assembly representing Kabba/Bunu State Constituency, Rt Hon Prince Matthew Kolawole has condemned in strong terms the killing of the Chairman, Bunu Hunter Association, Caleb Oshe and his son, Sunday Oshe in Suku community in Bunu district of Kabba/Bunu Local Government Area by yet to be identified herdsmen.

He said it is barbaric and provocative for a reasonable person and patriotic citizen to be attacking a vulnerable community and killing people at will.

In another development, the Kogi State Government has denied any herdsmen attack at a motor park in Lokoja, saying rumour peddlers are on a mission to create panic and tension in the State.

This was disclosed in Lokoja, Tuesday by the Director-General of Media and Publicity to the Kogi State Governor, Kingsley Fanwo.

He said the fake news circulating on social media platforms was the handiwork of the enemies of the State.

“Our attention has been drawn to some gory pictures on social media platforms, purporting that some herdsmen attacked a popular motor park in Lokoja and killed all passengers found there.

“We wish to allay the fears of commuters and residents of the State that nothing like that ever happened as all motor parks in the state remain peaceful. Our security operatives are also ensuring security of lives and property in the State.

“It is instructive to note that the intent of the promoters of such fake news was to create panic in the state for political reasons.

“The Governor of Kogi State wishes to assure commuters and residents of his continued commitment to guarantee their safety and security at all times.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National News

UN estimates Boko Haram kills 35,000 so far in Nigeria

Published

on

An estimated 35,000 persons have lost their lives in the ongoing Boko Haram insurgency in Adamawa, Borno, and Yobe States and other parts of Nigeria since the beginning of the conflict in 2009, the United Nations has said.

“These are 35,000 too many deaths,” it said in a statement.

The agency also said 37 aid workers lost their lives in the course of their duties in the region.

This was disclosed in a statement sent to PREMIUM TIMES on Saturday by the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) in commemoration of its humanitarian day.

”In total, 37 aid workers have lost their lives in service of humanity since the beginning of the conflict. We are here together to honour them and their grieving families, relatives, and children surviving them.

”As I stand before you today, my thoughts also go to the families of our colleagues who are still being held captive by armed groups. The UN and its humanitarian partners call for their immediate release and return to safety.

”My heart also goes out to the families of the thousands of civilians who have been similarly abducted and whose whereabouts are still unknown,” it said.

”Today, we are here together to remind the world that the humanitarian crisis hitting Borno, Adamawa and Yobe states is far from over.

”The less attention we pay to the crisis in the North-east, the more risks face our colleagues who are working in extremely volatile areas struck by violence and devastation.

”As respect for the laws of war weakens, aid workers are increasingly vulnerable, though they are more needed than ever before,” it added.

The UN also acknowledged the female humanitarian workers deployed in the North-east and the ones who died in the line of duty.

”Women are active in every aspect of humanitarian action: from negotiating access to people in need to addressing deadly diseases such as measles and cholera. From reuniting separated children to ensuring people uprooted by natural disasters and conflict have shelter, access to clean water, healthcare, food and education,” it said.

”Women humanitarians bring a unique perspective to this work through their understanding of the specific needs and priority of girls and women.

”And women humanitarians extend our global humanitarian access in parts of the world by their ability to reach women and girls who might otherwise be out-of-reach and bring them the information, support and services they need.

”Saifura Hussaini Ahmed Khorsa, Hauwa Mohammed Liman; they were midwives with ICRC and were executed after being held in captivity by non-state armed groups for more than six months. Both aid workers were abducted from Rann town, Borno State in March 2018 along with a nurse from UNICEF who is still held in captivity.

”Faye Mooney, she was a British communications and learning specialist with the non-governmental organisation, Mercy Corps. She lost her life in an attack by gunmen in Kaduna State earlier this year.”

Continue Reading

National News

Governor Matawalle appoints new head of service

Published

on

Zamfara State Governor, Bello Matawalle has appointed Kabiru Balarabe as the new head of service for the state’s civil service.

Until his appointment, Balarabe was the permanent secretary, Government House.

A statement signed by Yusuf Idris, the Director-General of press affairs to the governor on Saturday, said the appointment takes immediate effect.

The appointment followed the retirement of Mujtaba Isa, the former head of service.

Matawalle charged the new head of service to live up to the administration’s expectations by restructuring the service in the state and making it a role model.

Born in March, 1966, Mr Balarabe, a graduate of the University of Sokoto, joined the civil service as a research officer in the old Sokoto Military Administrator’s office in August, 1991.

He served in various capacities including as private secretary to former President Shehu Shagari between 1993 and 1996.

Balarabe was also a principal private secretary to the Zamfara State first civilian governor, Ahmed Sani, and a former local government sole administrator of the old Kasuwar Daji Local Government.

(NAN)

Continue Reading

National News

Herdsman lands in prison over alleged rape of 14-year-old girl

Published

on

Lawani Oseni, 22, has been remanded in prison custody by an Iyaganku Chief Magistrates’ court sitting at Ibadan on Friday, for allegedly raping a 14-year-old girl.

The Chief Magistrate, Mr O. Adisa, in his ruling said the court had no jurisdiction to preside over the case, but remanded the defendant at Agodi prison.

However, Oseni’s plea, was not taken.

Adisa, thereafter, adjourned the matter till Aug. 27.

According to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) Lawani, a cattle herder, of undisclosed address, was in court on one-count charge of rape.

The Police Prosecutor, ASP Ade Adebusuyi, told the court that the accused on Aug. 5, at about 12 noon, was alleged to have forcefully penetrated the girl, without her consent.

He said: “The victim was said to be hawking sachet water and Lawani, who was rearing his cattle, stopped her on the pretext that he wanted to buy.

“Lawani in the process allegedly had unlawful canal knowledge of her without her consent in the forest.

“The victim was alleged to have been deflowered by the defendant in the process, she shouted and called for help, and farmers in a nearby farm came to her rescue.

“The victim was rescued and the defendant arrested, while the matter was reported at Idi-Ayunre Police Station, Ibadan.’’

Adebusuyi said, the offence is contrary to Section 357 and punishable under Section 358 of the Criminal Code, Cap 38, Vol. II, Laws of Oyo State 2000.

Continue Reading

Like Us OnFacebook

Trending