Connect with us

Latest News

Aso Rock: Buhari’s aides allegedly in shouting match over sack of Osinbajo’s staff

Published

on

A very close aide of President Muhammadu Buhari, who is alleged to be the head of the cabals in the Presidency was involved in a “shouting march” with a top Federal Government official over the sudden “disengagement” of some aides of the Vice President, Yemi Osinbajo, TIMELY POST authoritatively reports.

It was gathered that the affected aides were sacked “outside the directive” of Buhari who is currently on a private visit in London.

Recall that reports have it that Buhari’s Chief of Staff, Abba Kyari allegedly relieved some aides attached to Osinbajo in a bid to reduce the influence of the Vice President.

Insider sources revealed that the current move being masterminded by an alleged top aide of the President was a knee-jerk reaction to weekend’s perceived vote of confidence passed on the embattled Vice President by the Emir of Daura, Alhaji Umar Faruk Umar.

However, other sources hinted that while the President had already “personally approved the appointment of all the 35 aides reportedly disengaged, he had also instructed their deployment to other ministries as part of a reorganization of the presidency proposed to him by the same top aide, who is seen to be engaging Osinbajo in a power tussle.

“While the Emir of Daura, His Royal Highness, Alhaji Umar Faruk Umar had spoken so highly of Osinbajo at the installation ceremony of the President’s cousin, Musa Haro as the new Dan-Madamin of Daura last Saturday, the top aide to the President was present and was pissed.

“The Emir’s effusive praise of Osinbajo at the event on his loyalty to the president and commitment to project Nigeria was seen as a deliberate attempt by the Emir to smite the so-called head of Aso Villa cabal and rubbish all they have been doing to curtail and humiliate the VP in an attempt to orchestrate a tussle between the President and his Vice,” the source said.

The source stated that Buhari had approved Osinbajo’s aides to stay in the Presidential Villa and those to be posted to Ministries before travelling out of Nigeria.

“The President had already approved all the aides of the VP and stipulated those to be in the villa, and those to be in the ministries. But by Monday, two days after the Emir of Daura praised the Vice President’s loyalty and service, the top aide, behind this whole problem ensured that all the aides deployed to the ministries should be disengaged.

“He, however, exempted those sent to the new ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development,” he said.

It was also learnt that the top government functionary was told it was the President who made the decision to relieve the aides, thereby, causing confusion and raising doubts about such a claim, since it was the same President that approved all the presidential aides in the office of the Vice President before traveling.

Checks, however, revealed that official correspondence from the President’s office specified that Buhari had approved all his deployments only a few weeks ago.

However, Osinbajo’s aides were forcefully fired after a shouting march between the highly placed Federal Government official and Buhari’s senior aide on claims that “it was what the President wanted,” even as there was no proof to such a claim.

Speaking last night, another informed source said: “It was the public admonition by the Emir that infuriated the cabal. The buzz within government circle now is how an aide could possibly pervert a presidential decision that is written in black and white.”

Sources close to the President also expressed concern that this development with the news of the alleged sack of some of the Vice President’s aides might worry Buhari who had warned that some of the recent changes that affected Osinbajo’s role are not misunderstood or used to embarrass him, ( the President), in the perception of the Nigerian public.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest News

Bayelsa/Kogi guber: No card reader, No voting — INEC

Published

on

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has said that no voter will be allowed to vote without his card being recognised by the Smart Card Reader in the November 16, elections in Bayelsa and Kogi states.

Prof. James Apam, the Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC), disclosed this to NAN on the sidelines of a one-day Training on Election Duties, organised by Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) for its Staff at Kogi Sector Command Headquarters in Lokoja.

Speaking on behalf of Apam, Olugbenga Ajayi, a staff officer of the commission, warned that no person would be allowed to vote without being accredited using the card reader.

“We keep learning everyday, and we want to obey what we have said as electoral umpire; if card reader cannot identify you, you cannot vote.

“It is either card reader or no voting in Kogi and Bayelsa elections; anything apart from the use of card reader for accreditation and voting will be disqualified.

“No manual accreditation would be allowed; it is either card reader or no voting,” he added.

He enjoined all the personnel participating in the elections to conduct themselves well without compromise but respect their dignity and protect the sanctity of the elections.

He further urged other security personnel to adequately secure electoral staff and election materials, stressing that all eyes are now on Kogi and Bayelsa elections.

“We urged the security personnel to live by the oath they swore to and not chasing after politicians for money,” he said

Continue Reading

Latest News

EFCC docks man, son for alleged $108,000 USD fraud

Published

on

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, Lagos office, Wednesday arraigned John Isang and his son, Martins over alleged obtaining of $108,000 under false pretence.

The duo were made to appear before Justice Sherifat Solebo of the Special Offences Court sitting in Ikeja.

EFCC spokesman, Wilson Uwujaren disclosed this in a statement to TIMELY POST.

Uwujaren affirmed that the duo allegedly obtained the said sum from Ikechukwu Eze on the pretext of providing him a vessel to transport Automotive Gas Oil (AGO) outside the country.

But the defendants, however, pleaded not guilty when the charges were read to them.

One of the counts reads: “That you John Isang, Martins John Isang, David Ola (now at large), Ferdinand Lolo (now at large), Frank Aku (still at large), Agare Celebrate (still at large), Sani Abdulllahi (still at large),Mark Aku (still at large) and Ibor Ferdinand Agbor (still at large) sometimes in August 2018 in Lagos within the jurisdiction of this Honourable Court conspired to obtain money from Mr. Ikechukwu Eze by falsely representing to Ikechukwu Eze that you had a vessel to transport 5000 Metric Tons of Automative Gas Oil (AGO) for him from Nigeria to Ghana which pretence you knew was false.”

The other charge reads: “That you John Isang, Martins John Isang, David Ola (now at large), Ferdinand Lolo (now at large), Frank Aku (still at large), Agare Celebrate (still at large), Sani Abdulllahi (still at large),Mark Aku (still at large) and Ibor Ferdinand Agbor (still at large) sometimes in September 2018 in Lagos within the jurisdiction of this Honourable Court obtained the sum of $108, 000 (One Hundred and Eight Thousand United States Dollars) from Mr. Ikechukwu Eze by falsely representing to Ikechukwu Eze that the money was the cost of hiring a vessel to transport 5000 Metric Tons of Automative Gas Oil (AGO) from Nigeria to Ghana which pretence you knew was false.”

On this premise, the prosecution counsel, C.R. Edozie asked the court for a trial date and an order to remand the defendants in prison pending the outcome of the case.

Also, the defence counsel, H.E. Igbenemo informed the court that he was yet to file and serve bail applications on behalf of his clients because he was briefed about the arraignment the previous day.

He, therefore, prayed the court for a short date to allow the defence file and serve the court and the prosecution with the bail application.

In his ruling, Justice Solebo adjourned the case to December 12, for hearing of bail application and ordered that the defendants be remanded in a Nigerian Correctional Centre.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Sowore: Soyinka flays FG over attack on protesters, says Buhari govt insecure, paranoid

Published

on

The Nobel Laureate, Wole Soyinka, has called on civil society organisations to strategize and coordinate their responses to attacks on human rights by state agents under President Muhammadu Buhari.

Soyinka, in his statement sent to TIMELY POST, reacted to the attack on protesters on Tuesday in Abuja for demanding the release of Omoyele Sowore by the State Security Service.

“The sporadic, uncoordinated responses as in the case of Omoyele Sowore, the absence of a solid strategy, ready to be activated against any threat — these continue to enable these agencies in their mission to enthrone a pattern of conduct that openly scoffs at the role of the judiciary in national life,” the don said.

He condemned “the level of arrogance” by agents of the state under President Buhari, saying it “has crossed even the most permissive thresholds.”

“As I remarked from the onset, this is an act of government insecurity and paranoia that merely defeats its real purpose,” he said.

TIMELY POST reported how protesters demanding the release of Mr Sowore were violently dispersed with gunshots in Abuja with some of them including journalists covering the protest sustaining injuries.

Sowore, publisher of Sahara Reporters, is being detained by the SSS despite meeting his bail conditions set by the court.

The activist and former presidential candidate is being prosecuted for calling for a revolution against bad governance. He is charged with treasonable felony and money laundering.

Below is Soyinka’s full statement:

SOWORE, HUMAN RIGHTS AND THE RULE OF LAW

It should become abundantly clear by now that Civil Society organisations, committed to the entrenchment of the Rule of Law and the defence of fundamental human rights must come together. This is not a new cry. They must meet, debate, and embark on a binding pact of tactical responses whenever these two pillars of civilized society are besieged by the demolition engines of state security agencies. The sporadic, uncoordinated responses as in the case of Omoyele Sowore, the absence of a solid strategy, ready to be activated against any threat — these continue to enable these agencies in their mission to enthrone a pattern of conduct that openly scoffs at the role of the judiciary in national life. Result? A steady entrenchment of the cult of impunity in the dealings of state with the citizenry – both individuals and organizations. The level of arrogance has crossed even the most permissive thresholds.

It is heart-warming to witness the determined efforts of “Concerned Nigerians” in defence of these rights. Predictably, the ham-fisted response of the Directorate of State Security (DSS) continues to defy the rulings of the court. The weaponry of lies having been exploded in their faces, they resort to what else? Violence! Violence, including, as now reported, the firing of live bullets. Why the desperation? The answer is straightforward: the government never imagined that the bail conditions for Sowore would ever be met. Even Sowore’s supporters despaired. The bail test was clearly set to fail! It took a while for the projection to be reversed, and it left the DSS floundering. That agency then resorted to childish, cynical lies. It claimed that the ordered release was no longer in their hands, but in Sowore’s end of the transfer. The lie being exploded, what next? Bullets of course!

Such a development is not only callous and inhuman, it is criminal. It escalates an already untenable defiance by the state. As I remarked from the onset, this is an act of government insecurity and paranoia that merely defeats its real purpose. And now – bullets? This is no longer comical. Perhaps it is necessary to remind this government of precedents in other lands where, even years after the event, those who trampled on established human rights that generate homicidal impunity are called to account for abuse of power and crimes against humanity. The protests for Sowore’s release go beyond only acts of solidarity, they are manifestations of the judgment and authority of courts of law, under which this nation is supposedly governed. Either it is, or it isn’t. The answer stares us all in the face. The principles that now fall under threat implicate more than one individual under travail. They involve the very entitlement of a nation to lay claim to membership of any democratic, humanized union.

Enough of this charade, nothing more than a display of crude, naked power. Release Omoyele Sowore and save us further embarrassment in the regard of the world. An apology to the nation by the DSS and the judiciary would also not be out of place. It would go some distance in redeeming the image of an increasingly fascistic agency and reduce the swelling tide of public disillusionment.

Let the rule of law reign. Failing that, have the honesty to proclaim the death of ordered society. Then we’ll all know just where we stand.

Wole SOYINKA
WS Foundation for the Humanities
Abeokuta, Ogun State
November 12, 2019

Continue Reading

Like Us OnFacebook

Trending