The Nigerian Army officer who gave the order for the killing of three Police officers and a civilian who were transporting a kidnap kingpin, Hamisu Bala Wadume, have been arrested.
Vanguard reports that the officer, a captain, was arrested by the Army on Sunday, August 11, night after he was invited by the panel set up to investigate the incident for questioning. A source within the Army said the kidnap suspect who was freed by some soldiers – along Ibi-Wukari road – who were allegedly compromised.
It was also gathered that the captain ordered the soldiers to shot at the bus conveying Wadume with an instruction that no police officer in the vehicle escapes while the kidnap suspect is freed. “Our colleagues (police operatives) also exchanged pleasantries with the army personnel at the checkpoint before they pursued then on the captain’s instruction and fired at them,” the source said. According to the source, the road to Ibi village is a narrow and only road that leads to the area.
“That was why when the policemen encountered the soldiers at the three checkpoints, they introduced themselves and stated what they came for. They chatted, joked and exchanged pleasantries,” the source said. The source added that the arrest of the suspect was made by the Police within 20 minutes and while they were returning soldiers at the first and second check points inquired from them if they were already through.
The source said the soldiers and operatives know each another, but the phone call from a top military personnel changed the whole scenario. However, another military source said the team of the inspector general of Police Intelligence Response Team (IRT) were attacked at the second military check-point in the village causing the driver of the vehicle to loose control under the series of gun fire. The source explained that some of the officers who managed to crawl out of the vehicle into the bush path were immediately shot dead by the soldiers at close range after they realised they were still alive. It was gathered that residents who crowded scene of the incident went wild with jubilation, after been informed that the slain police officers were kidnappers.
However, the teaming crowd saved the lives of two other officers who survived the gunfire by the soldiers. The source said, it was gathered one of the soldiers reportedly told his colleagues that killing the surviving officers would be too risky as the villagers already captured them alive on their smart phones.
UN estimates Boko Haram kills 35,000 so far in Nigeria
An estimated 35,000 persons have lost their lives in the ongoing Boko Haram insurgency in Adamawa, Borno, and Yobe States and other parts of Nigeria since the beginning of the conflict in 2009, the United Nations has said.
“These are 35,000 too many deaths,” it said in a statement.
The agency also said 37 aid workers lost their lives in the course of their duties in the region.
This was disclosed in a statement sent to PREMIUM TIMES on Saturday by the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) in commemoration of its humanitarian day.
”In total, 37 aid workers have lost their lives in service of humanity since the beginning of the conflict. We are here together to honour them and their grieving families, relatives, and children surviving them.
”As I stand before you today, my thoughts also go to the families of our colleagues who are still being held captive by armed groups. The UN and its humanitarian partners call for their immediate release and return to safety.
”My heart also goes out to the families of the thousands of civilians who have been similarly abducted and whose whereabouts are still unknown,” it said.
”Today, we are here together to remind the world that the humanitarian crisis hitting Borno, Adamawa and Yobe states is far from over.
”The less attention we pay to the crisis in the North-east, the more risks face our colleagues who are working in extremely volatile areas struck by violence and devastation.
”As respect for the laws of war weakens, aid workers are increasingly vulnerable, though they are more needed than ever before,” it added.
The UN also acknowledged the female humanitarian workers deployed in the North-east and the ones who died in the line of duty.
”Women are active in every aspect of humanitarian action: from negotiating access to people in need to addressing deadly diseases such as measles and cholera. From reuniting separated children to ensuring people uprooted by natural disasters and conflict have shelter, access to clean water, healthcare, food and education,” it said.
”Women humanitarians bring a unique perspective to this work through their understanding of the specific needs and priority of girls and women.
”And women humanitarians extend our global humanitarian access in parts of the world by their ability to reach women and girls who might otherwise be out-of-reach and bring them the information, support and services they need.
”Saifura Hussaini Ahmed Khorsa, Hauwa Mohammed Liman; they were midwives with ICRC and were executed after being held in captivity by non-state armed groups for more than six months. Both aid workers were abducted from Rann town, Borno State in March 2018 along with a nurse from UNICEF who is still held in captivity.
”Faye Mooney, she was a British communications and learning specialist with the non-governmental organisation, Mercy Corps. She lost her life in an attack by gunmen in Kaduna State earlier this year.”
Governor Matawalle appoints new head of service
Zamfara State Governor, Bello Matawalle has appointed Kabiru Balarabe as the new head of service for the state’s civil service.
Until his appointment, Balarabe was the permanent secretary, Government House.
A statement signed by Yusuf Idris, the Director-General of press affairs to the governor on Saturday, said the appointment takes immediate effect.
The appointment followed the retirement of Mujtaba Isa, the former head of service.
Matawalle charged the new head of service to live up to the administration’s expectations by restructuring the service in the state and making it a role model.
Born in March, 1966, Mr Balarabe, a graduate of the University of Sokoto, joined the civil service as a research officer in the old Sokoto Military Administrator’s office in August, 1991.
He served in various capacities including as private secretary to former President Shehu Shagari between 1993 and 1996.
Balarabe was also a principal private secretary to the Zamfara State first civilian governor, Ahmed Sani, and a former local government sole administrator of the old Kasuwar Daji Local Government.
Herdsman lands in prison over alleged rape of 14-year-old girl
Lawani Oseni, 22, has been remanded in prison custody by an Iyaganku Chief Magistrates’ court sitting at Ibadan on Friday, for allegedly raping a 14-year-old girl.
The Chief Magistrate, Mr O. Adisa, in his ruling said the court had no jurisdiction to preside over the case, but remanded the defendant at Agodi prison.
However, Oseni’s plea, was not taken.
Adisa, thereafter, adjourned the matter till Aug. 27.
According to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) Lawani, a cattle herder, of undisclosed address, was in court on one-count charge of rape.
The Police Prosecutor, ASP Ade Adebusuyi, told the court that the accused on Aug. 5, at about 12 noon, was alleged to have forcefully penetrated the girl, without her consent.
He said: “The victim was said to be hawking sachet water and Lawani, who was rearing his cattle, stopped her on the pretext that he wanted to buy.
“Lawani in the process allegedly had unlawful canal knowledge of her without her consent in the forest.
“The victim was alleged to have been deflowered by the defendant in the process, she shouted and called for help, and farmers in a nearby farm came to her rescue.
“The victim was rescued and the defendant arrested, while the matter was reported at Idi-Ayunre Police Station, Ibadan.’’
Adebusuyi said, the offence is contrary to Section 357 and punishable under Section 358 of the Criminal Code, Cap 38, Vol. II, Laws of Oyo State 2000.
Like Us OnFacebook
Tech8 months ago
List of Phones with 5000mAh battery in Nigeria 
Politics10 months ago
2019: crisis rocks Gombe PDP as Lawmaker moves to sue over alleged illegal substitution
Business6 months ago
NNPC loses N228.1bn revenue as refineries remain dormant
Headline News5 months ago
Police slam ₦2.5bn fraud charges against Access Bank CEO, three others
Headline News6 months ago
EFCC arrests Turaki – PDP
Headline News6 months ago
BREAKING: Court terminates charges against Alex Badeh
Headline News5 months ago
CCT trial: Onnoghen faults prosecution documents, alleges mutilation, tampering, omission
National News5 months ago
Onnoghen: CCT summons standard chartered bank account officer for grilling