Connect with us

Latest News

Armed robbers invade postgraduate hostel, injure students

Published

on

Suspected armed robbers, Sunday attacked a postgraduate hostel of the University of Ibadan in Oyo State.

It was gathered that the gunmen raided the Abdulsalami Abubakar hostel, a postgraduate hostel occupied by both male and female graduate students of the institution.

In July, some gunmen attacked Awolowo Hall, a female hostel in the institution, and carted away students property after they injured some students.

A postgraduate student in the institution disclosed that the robbers, in the latest attack, invaded the hostel around 2 a.m. and “axed down the door leading to the hostel containing four blocks, two of which accommodate males and the other two, females.”

Items stolen from the students include mobile phones, laptops and money.

One of the students, said, “They had a struggle entering into the hostel because the security in New Hall is actually tight. But we didn’t know what it was and we were wondering where the securities and potters were at this time.”

Another female postgraduate student who asked not to be named said: “This is something else. UI security is getting worse every day. To everyone staying on campus, I heard about the robbery at the hostel; please be safe. If they now attack students with machete and admin thinks insecurity is a national thing then we need to protect ourselves.”

The Director of Public Communication, University of Ibadan, Tunji Oladejo, however, confirmed the incident.

Oladejo, who said the university is not immune from the prevailing insecurity across Nigeria, insisted that the university is handling the situation.

He also confirmed that some of the students were injured during the attack.

He added that those who were injured had been taken to the university clinic and have been discharged from the hospital.

“I can confirm to you that the story is true. We have reported the matter to the police. They did their best.

“Let me also say that it is Abdulsalami Abubakar hall. It is a postgraduate hostel for both male and female.

“Those who perpetrated the incident knew the terrain became they did not go to male hostel. We are still working and the investigation is still ongoing.

“UI is not immune to what is happening in Nigeria. The security situation in the country. We don’t know how they came. The security did their best. They injured some students.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest News

IBB calls for inclusive unity

Published

on

Former military president, General Ibrahim Badamasi Babaginda, IBB, has called for collective effort aimed at uniting all segments of the country.

Speaking on the occasion of his 78th birthday on Saturday in Minna, the former leader said it is when there is unity that the country can move forward, adding that every Nigerians had a role to play in the matter.

“We don’t have any other country except Nigeria. So, we must all work today, young and old to ensure that this country survives.

“The unity of the country is sacrosanct. We must make sure we identify ourselves as Nigerians before talking of tribe, religion and region we come from,” adding that Nigerians must strive to ensure that the nation remained one indivisible entity.

IBB expressed gratitude to God for sparing his life long enough to attain the age of 78.

“I want to thank Almighty Allah for sparing my life to witness this day. Allah has been very kind to me and I remained grateful to Him,” he said.

Our reporter said that the Uphill residence of the former leader was filled with guests among whom included a former Chief Justice of the Federation, Alfa Belgore; lawmakers from the National Assembly, former governors and military administrators, including Col Habibu Shuaibu

Continue Reading

Latest News

FAAN announces day to close Enugu airport runway

Published

on

The Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN), Saturday notified airlines and passengers that the runway at Akanu Ibiam International Airport, Enugu will be closed on August 24, for major repairs.

FAAN’s General Manager, Corporate Affairs, Henrietta Yakubu, made this known in a statement issued in Lagos.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the closure of the airport is coming three months after the immediate past Minister of State, Aviation, Hadi Sirika, said the airport would be closed over the state of the runway.

Sirika had said that the airport would be degraded for international operations because the runway length is not ideal for such operations.

Mrs Yakubu explained that the closure was aimed at resolving the existing safety and security concerns to flight operations.

She said the closure of the runway would took effect by 12 a.m. on August 24.

She noted that a date to reopen the runway would be communicated in due course.

Mrs Yakubu said FAAN remained committed to its core values of safety, security and comfort of the airport users in the country.

Meanwhile, the management of Air Peace has commended the Federal Government for the decision to close the Enugu International Airport for proper repair and maintenance of the airport’s runway.

The airline’s Chairman, Allen Onyema, who made the commendation in a statement issued to newsmen in Lagos, noted that the runway had been given stakeholders serious safety concerns.

“For the avoidance of doubt, Air Peace is fully and totally in support of this decision. Though the decision will affect the traveling public.

“However, the airline, place the safety of the flying public, our crew and equipment above any commercial benefits.

“The government should go all out to put everything in place, within the period of the closure, that will make the airport rank among the best international airports in the country.

“We plead with the federal government to make the airport a 24-hour flight operations airport by improving the night landing infrastructure,” he said.

(NAN)

Continue Reading

Latest News

El-Zakzaky: Falana asks FG for new medical plan

Published

on

Mr. Femi Falana (SAN), the lawyer to Sheikh Ibraheem El-Zakzaky and his wife, Zeenat, has called the Federal Government to provide an alternative and adequate treatment for the couple in Nigeria.

The Senior lawyer also said that he would file a fresh application for El-Zakzaky and his wife to be re-flown abroad for treatment if his demand was not met.

The leader of Islamic Movement of Nigeria (IMN), Sheikh Ibraheem El-Zakzaky on Friday returned to Nigeria, after refusing treatment in India.

Recall that El-Zakzaky, who is facing an 8-count charge in a case of homicide filed by the Kaduna State Government, was granted leave for medical treatment by a Kaduna High Court on Aug. 5.

Subsequently, El-Zakzaky and his wife travelled to India via Dubai for medical treatment after the Federal Government and relevant agencies took steps to comply with the order in spite of protestation by Kaduna State Government.

Falana, in a statement yesterday, said: “It is disturbing that the planned medical treatment of Sheikh Ibraheem El-Zakzaky and his wife in India was aborted and that they have since returned to Nigeria.

“However, in view of their critical health conditions, the El-Zakzakys and the Federal Government should urgently reach an understanding to facilitate their medical treatment in Nigeria.

“In other words, since the Federal Government is apparently not prepared to allow the couple to seek medical treatment abroad for fear that they may seek political asylum, the authorities should provide adequate medical equipment for their treatment in Nigeria without any further delay.

“The unfortunate episode had embarrassed the Federal Government and that Nigeria has become a laughing stock to the extent that her leaders and citizens (who have the financial wherewithal) have to travel abroad for medical treatment.

“For goodness sake in what way was the Indian Government offended by the insistence of the El-Zakzakys to be treated by doctors of their choice”.

Continue Reading

Like Us OnFacebook

Trending